The Word of the Day is Support, S U P P O R T
The Word of the Day – Support
How to achieve your change: designing your Support
As I said before in my previous article,s changing behavior is usually most difficult.
The two key factors that you need are Stimuli to change, and then Support. That earlier blog discussed your Stimuli.
This article will deal with the value of designing the necessary Support that will lead you to successfully changing your behavior.
I will continue by exploring two examples of desired changes that we seem to have the greatest difficulties in: weight loss and attitude.
After you have answered the first question of why you want to lose weight or have a different attitude, you then need Support if you are amongst 90% of the population to help you achieve this change. I acknowledge that 10% of the population can change as soon as they realize the stimuli for the change: they don’t need Support!
There are two types of Support: Internal Support and External Support.
The first is entirely you.
The second is external to you.
Here are some examples. More are available from my website and my books.
• Read your goals of weight loss or attitude change aloud morning, noon and night
• Visualize with emotion daily how you will feel when you succeed in losing weight or changing your attitude
• Make your affirmations daily that you have designed
• Reward yourself when you have taken a successful step along the way of weight loss or attitude change.
• Impose a penalty on yourself when you have failed to do what you committed to do.
• And so on….
• Hire a personal trainer
• Hire an executive coach
• Use a counselor, psychologist or psychiatrist
• Join a gym
• Do ZOX Pro Training
• Have a wager with another friend who also wants to lose weight or change attitude. Bet that you will do better than they will!
• Get one or more friends to join you in a group to achieve similar changes.
• Create or join a master mind group
• And so on….
Successful people learn that most of us need Support. They are willing to be held accountable by ‘external’ forces that help them change in the ways that they want to change but are likely to fail.
Now, write down your own possible Internal and External Support Mechanisms, and the longer the list, the better! Use your imagination and remind yourself of all the possible resources you have been exposed to that will support you.
As I said, ZOX Pro Training is one of these resources.
My various blog articles on the Mind to Mind website will be helpful in provoking some ideas in designing your Support.Charles B Kovess LL.B. (Hons), LL.M., MAICD, MAITD Australasia’s Passion Provocateur Certified Speaking Professional www.kovess.com